Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why blog about CCSD?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:tcjKDOkYMGSnuM:http://employerblog.recruitingnevada.com/wp-content/uploads/CCSD.gif I was asked during the week if I plan to turn this into an exclusive Clark County School District advocacy blog, similar to my previous "Guilford School Watch" blog while living in North Carolina?

The answer I gave was specific.

While I want to incorporate some other things in Vegas Valley View (such as social marketing and media, important business items around town, etc.), as a former North Carolina public school teacher, a one-time North Carolina school board candidate and advocate, public education is important to me.

Currently, I am not a stakeholder in CCSD. I'm not affiliated with CCSD in any way, shape or form  whatsoever. However, I've become increasingly concerned lately when I hear that CCSD needs a lot of fixing. I've been hearing stories about our children worshiping the crazy money made here in the Valley by parking lot and valet attendants, bartenders and blackjack dealers, dancers and entertainers. And yes, our bread-and-butter industries keep this Valley going.

But our children still need to learn how to read and write, use proper English and know a little about current events in the world. And if I can do my little part, or throw my little $.05 in to help, then so be it.

So there.

E.C. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erik
In reply to your contact on my blog.... Welcome Erik
My issue is that we are 49th in the nation. Seems like doing anything right would have a pretty good chance of moving us up. Downside risk being minimal from here. While I spend almost every school board meeting talking about the shenanigans of the Facilities department there are plenty of things not working beyond that. I set this site up about one month ago to reach out to any school board members or Bond Oversight members who were interested. It also addresses the teachers who are afraid to speak out and many of whom have contacted me anonymously in the past. Maybe they will speak out or maybe they figure it's a put up job from the district.

I will add a link to this blog on the TalkToCCSD.com web site.

Ken
TalkToCCSD.com

Erik "E.C." Huey said...

It appears as though from what you say, CCSD staffers operate in a culture of fear also and are afraid to speak publicly. This was a similar situation in the school district I lived/worked in/covered while in North Carolina, where teachers could not speak out for fear of their jobs.

49th in the nation demands action. I look forward to opening the door of communication so we can go from worst to first.